What makes us happy? Yesterday in church, our bishop gave a lesson on this topic and the discussions that resulted really bothered me. So rather than stage a mutiny during Relief Society, I decided to first vent to my friends and then share it on my blog.
The lesson started out with the bishop asking us to make a list on the board of things that do and do not make you happy. First, he wrote $1 million under the "Does" list and asked if this was correct. Immediately some girls on the front row (figures. I was on the back row by the way) said No! I don't know about you, but I would be made extremely happy by $1 million. I could pay for school (including grad school), travel a bit, maybe donate some (in order to show some humility you see). They eventually decided to put the money in the middle of the two lists because they decided it wasn't necessarily a bad thing either. However, by the time we were done with our list, fame and fortune were both on the side of things that "Do Not" cause happiness. This made me very upset.
Happiness is a totally relative concept. It's based on attitude, situation, individual personalities, etc. What makes one person happy may not make another person happy. For example, I can tell you 100% that although watching Pride and Prejudice makes me very happy, it makes my brother want to kill himself. Not literally, but you get the picture. Plus, one thing that has always been a pet peeve of mine is when people insist that those with money and/or fame do not have happiness. Particularly those who aquired those things throught acting, musical, or athletic talent. That is bull. Just because a person has either fame or fortune does not mean they automatically are going to have a miserable life. It's the way you live your life, what you choose to do with that fame/money that will determine your level of happiness. And like I said before, it's all relative. So who are we to judge? That's my soap box on happiness.
you must be my daughter .. wait! you are! :-) I love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love you baby girl!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree--happiness is inside of you in spite of circumstances surrounding you. so neither having or lacking money or whatever else should decide your happiness. and having some money does make life a bit easier ... though I was still completely happy having none! so it's all attitude. to me, happiness is very related to gratitude. and you know how I love gratitude. :-)